Since you are going to eat lots of fat in Ketogenic diet, you have to make choices based on your digestive tolerance. Most people are not able to digest mayonnaise or vegetable oil, or even Olive oil for a long time. You can refer to the list of foods recommended in this diet and keep away from non-recommended foods as much as you can. It is not possible to remember all the things mentioned in the list.
Therefore, you can just keep the concepts of Ketogenic diet in mind and broadly keep the list in mind. If you cannot recall whether you should eat something or not, just try to recall the logics and you will be able to make a wise choice.
Oils and fats
- Avocado oil
- Beef tallow of grass fed cattle
- Almond oil
- Organic Butter
- Organic Chicken fat
- Organic Duck fat
- organic leaf lard
- Macadamia oil
- Macadamia Nuts
- Organic Olive oil
- Organic coconut oil,
- Coconut cream concentrate
- Organic Red Palm oil
- Coconut butter
- Peanut Butter
- Seed and nut oils: Flaxseed oil, Sesame oil, etc (do not heat)
- 85–90% dark chocolate
- Grass fed Meat: lamb, beef, veal, goat, or wild game
- Pork: Boston butt, pork loin, ham, pork chops
- Poultry: chicken, quail, turkey, Cornish hen, pheasant, duck, goose
- Fish or any kind of seafood, if possible wild caught: calamari, catfish, anchovies, cod, flounder, herring, mackerel, halibut, mahi-mahi, sardines, salmon, scrod, sole, trout, tuna, and snapper.
- Canned salmon and tuna are good enough but you must check their labels for fillers or added sugars.
- Shellfish: clams, lobster, crab, scallops, shrimp, mussels, squid, and oysters
- Whole eggs: deviled, hard-boiled, fried, omelets, scrambled, soft-boiled, and poached
- Sausage and Bacon: avoid products that contain fillers or sugar like wheat and soy.
- Soy products and Peanut butter such as tofu, edamame, and tempeh have good amount of of protein, but also high amount of carbohydrates, so eat them wisely.
- Whey protein powders, and pea, rice, hemp and or other powders of vegetable protein. Whey protein spikes insulin
According to ketosumo Most of the non-starchy vegetables do not contain many carbohydrates. You must buy organic vegetables. If you do not get organic variants, you can try growing them on your own so that there is no chance of pesticide residues.
Avoid vegetables containing starch such as peas, corn, sweet potatoes, potatoes, and winter squash. Limit consumption of sweeter vegetables like carrots, tomatoes, summer squashes, and peppers.
- Alfalfa Sprouts
- Leafy green vegetable
- Bean Sprouts
- Bamboo Shoots
- Beet Greens
- Bok choy
- Bell peppers*
- Brussels sprouts
- Celery root
- Collard greens
- Dandelion greens
- Dill pickles
- Salad greens and Lettuces (Boston lettuce, arugula, chicory, escarole, endive, fennel, mache, romaine, radicchio, sorrel)
- Sauerkraut (watch for added sugar)
- Snow Peas
- Summer squash*
- Swiss chard
* Eat these vegetables in moderation.
You can consume raw milk products. Some of the dairy products trigger insulin. Therefore, it is better to limit their quantity of consumption.
- Heavy whipped cream
- Cottage cheese (full fat)
- Sour cream (full fat)
- All soft and hard cheesesone ounce contains almost 1 carb
- Cream cheese
- Whole milk yogurt (unsweetened)
- Mascarpone cheese
If you can avoid sweetened foods completely, you can reset your taste buds. However, if you still want to eat something sweet, you can eat anything from the list given below.
You must know that the powdered sweeteners usually contain dextrose, maltodextrin, or any other kind of sugar. Therefore, you must prefer liquid sweeteners.
- Liquid Stevia
- Xylitol (food containint xylitol must be kept at distance from dogs.
- Liquid Splenda*
- Monk Fruit
- Lo Han Guo
- Chicory Root and Inulin
Splenda is a controversial sweetener, but research has been done to prove that it can be consumed by Ketogenic followers.
Foods you must avoid in Ketogenic diet
- All grains, white potatoes and quinoa
- Whole meal grainsrye, oats, wheat, corn, barley, bulgur, sorghum, millet,
Rice, amaranth, sprouted grains, buckwheat
- Products made from grainsbread, pasta, pizza, crackers, cookies
- Sweets and sugarHFCS, table sugar, ice creams, agave syrup, cakes, soft-
Drinks, sweet puddings
- Factory farmed fish and pork
- Processed foods, MSG products, BPAs, sulphites
- Artificial sweetenersSplenda, Equal, and sweeteners containing Acesulfame, Aspartame, Saccharin, Sucralose, etc
- Refined oils/ fatssafflower, sunflower, cottonseed, soybean, canola, corn oil grapeseed; and Trans fats like margarine
- Zero carb, low carb, low fat products
- High amount of milk is not recommended. You can take it in limited quantity
- Sweet drinks and alcoholic drinkssweet wine, beer, cocktails, etc.
- Tropical fruitspineapple, papaya, mango, banana
- Fruits high in carbohydratesgrapes, tangerine
- Fruit juices including fresh juices (you can take smoothies if you want)
- Soy products
- Wheat gluten
- Cans lined with BPA
- Sulfites in gelatin, dried fruits